Participants

Some of the participants of Nepal Practica 2017!

Miranda Meyer

Originally from Iowa, I did my undergrad in Sioux Falls, SD at a small liberal arts school. My degree was Spanish, International Studies, and Modern Foreign Language. While in college I was able to study abroad often and event spent a year in Costa Rica. After college, I worked in Managua, Nicaragua as a cultural liaison for the Evangelical Lutheran Church. I led group trips around the country and acted as interpreter and guide. Upon returning to the U.S. I moved to Santa Rosa, CA where I worked as the Sonoma County AIDS Drug Assistance Program Coordinator. My position was as a case-manager for people living with HIV. I also provided HIV/Hepatitis C testing and counseling. I am currently a first semester IEM/MPA student working as a GA in the library as well as a GA in Carolyn Meyer’s office.

Castelline Tilus

My name is Castelline Tilus and I am a first semester International Policy and Development (IPD) student at MIIS. I will be participating in the Nepal practica with Professor Murphy and I could not be more excited. My love of languages and traveling brought me here to Monterey and I hope to explore both further through this immersive trip. I grew up in Jean-Rabel, Haiti, but have spent the past 16 years in the United States. So like most students at MIIS, I like to say that I have a transnational identity–loving both fried plantains and apple pie.

Elizabeth Fisher

Elizabeth is a first year MPA student hailing from North Carolina with a love of tea and all things eco-friendly and DIY. Her background includes a BA in Biology and an MA in French and Francophone literature and a year of teaching English to high school students in eastern France. With diverse interests in everything from Conflict Resolution and peacebuilding, to data analysis, and traveling and learning languages, she’s using the many opportunities at MIIS to hone her interests and goals toward something actually achievable.

Donna York

Donna York was born in small town called Decatur located in Atlanta,Georgia. As a lifelong dreamer she set out on her first worldwide adventure in Guatemala in 2009. That trip made her decide to pursue a career in development. After living in the Czech and Slovakia she joined the Peace Corps.

Chndy Rogel

Chndy is currently pursuing her M.A. in International Policy and Development at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies (MIIS) and is an International Fellow for the American Association of University Women (AAUW). Prior to studying at MIIS, she has been working as a researcher and writer for four years. She conducted desk and field research for donor-funded projects on education and public service delivery for a research center on governance based in Manila, Philippines and took a visiting research fellowship in Bangkok, Thailand at a local NGO working on security issues in the country. Upon returning to the Philippines, she went on field monitoring missions for a rural micro enterprise promotion program that led her to working on small and medium enterprise development promotion and policy research. On a lighter note, she loves traveling, eating chocolate chip cookies, and watching sunsets