Understanding Peacebuilding

By Srishti Sharma

Peace, such a common word is deceptively simple. To achieve peace is to achieve calmness and tranquillity but that doesn’t happen without stirring our souls. Peace to me is something that destroys barriers, respects differences, celebrates freedom, leads to wellbeing and strengthens inner spirit. I have had the experience of working with children from various backgrounds. And the environment that the children grow up in has a direct impact on their understanding and development. “Adults and children alike, if they are caught in a cycle of violence, they begin to expect it and accept it.” The children who grow up in safer and more conducive environment have a stronger sense of self-worth and are more accepting of people and things around them. As an educator it is my duty to understand children, be aware of their problems and to educate them as a whole. Last year, the Delhi government launched a ‘Happiness Curriculum’ in the government schools to promote holistic education by including meditation, value education, and mental exercises in conventional education curriculum.  It really made me question is this how happiness can be taught and why incorporating peace education into the school curriculum is not thought about instead in Indian schools? Even though providing quality and safe education to children and knocking down conflicts is the need of the hour. It is the schools that are responsible for laying the groundwork for future social actions and making responsible citizens out of students.

Image result for indian children and peace

I am interested in working on developing and strengthening ideals of peace as a part of educational curriculum in Indian schools but lack academic backing for the same. Becoming a part of the Peace Building Program will help me develop a better understanding of the discourse of peacebuilding, equip me with the knowledge of practical tools and help me connect with potential strategic partners who can help support peacebuilding endeavours by bridging the gap between theory and practice. I am looking forward to being a part of this group learning process and tapping into groups’ collective wisdom, experience and skills to understand the concepts, frameworks and approaches of peacebuilding and shaping my own ideas.

Image source