First Thoughts. Katmandu. 1/8/2012

I will try to write something about Nepal, although it is obvious I will not be able to retell everything properly. It was that special. Special should be the word to describe everything in that country- starting with its capital Katmandu, a city that hits you in the head like a bamboo stick, and ending with a smallest village. It is so full of contrasts and bright colors.

Nepalese reality affects with its every aspect:

1. Mountains. It is impossible to get used to seeing and walking side by side with the six-, seven-, and eight thousand meter high beastly creatures.
  2. Politics. Because seeing flags with sickle and hammer in the background of these very mountains, that have already imprinted in my memory forever, to say the least was very strange.
  3. Blinding white snow and blackout blue skies.

What can one say about the city… It’s immersed in some magic. There’ something good and evil in it, with both equally represented. It is dusty and dirty, at times- smelly. There’s a monstrous stratification of society among both, poor and rich.

Traffic lights do not function. It is not clear why accidents are not an every minute thing at the intersections. It was there where I saw the flashing red light for the first time in my life. It is scary to cross the street because of the peculiar left sided oncoming traffic.

In the tourist district of the city of Tamel, the narrow streets are full of cars, motorcycles, mopeds, bicycles and rickshaws miraculously maneuvering  in the dense crowd of people. No sidewalks. Constant honking.

Important critical points are guarded by soldiers on duty, dressed in something mouse-colored. Nepalese soldiers wear khaki with a predominance of blue-gray tones and carry rifles and machine guns, so you know better no to bother them.

Real fieldwork starts tomorrow. And I do not know exactly what to expect. I am confident that this will be one of the most difficult and exciting adventures of my life.