The remainder of our time on Sunday was reserved for sightseeing. I’m glad that we had some time to simply enjoy being in Tokyo. It was far from my first time, but there were a number of us who were there for the first time and I’m glad they had some time to enjoy it. Also, we were all still jetlagged and walking around outside was probably a lot better for us (and a lot less rude) than attending a lecture and trying not to fall asleep.

Our itinerary after leaving Yasukuni was lunch > Ginza > Hama Rikyu Gardens > Boat > Asakusa > hotel. I had never really been to Ginza before, as I had the idea that it was out of my price range. Thankfully there are some chains as well, which are more affordable. There was also a shop of Kumamoto goods, which I wanted to visit in a bit of nostalgia, but unfortunately I didn’t realize that until right as we were leaving.

Some lovely nanoha in front of some office buildings.
Some plum blossoms were beginning to open.

Hama Rikyu was a beautiful garden, one I had never been to before. One thing I always find when I’m in Tokyo is that I like the city, but I miss greenery. Other cities around the world are much greener. Parks like Hama Rikyu and Shinjuku Gyoen are a nice remedy to all of the glass and concrete.

During my very first week in Japan, back in September of 2010, I took a boat tour up the Sumida River to Asakusa. It was fun to echo that same trip this time. There were a couple differences – that time we left from Odaiba, not Hama Rikyu, and it was at night, while this time it was during the day. Either way, it was fun, and we got to have the quintessenially foreigner-in-Japanese experience of being overwhelmed by drunk Japanese who are excited to meet foreigners but can’t actually speak to them.

Sky Tree and Asahi Beer

Finally, the day ended in Asakusa. I’ve been a million times, and it’s bustling atmosphere never changes, but is always fun. Dinner was some absolutely scrumptious tempura and a great time to get to know my fellow students a little better. We never really had a chance to talk before the trip, so it was great to learn their stories and figure out why they were interested in doing research on various topics within East Asian diplomacy, trade, and policy.

So many people, as always.
Senso-ji.