Student Spotlight: Qinghua “Yolanda” Tang

photo of YolandaAt the end of every ESL session, one of the ways that we celebrate students’ success is by giving awards that are voted and presented by the instructors. For the fall session, one of the clear winners of the “Spirit Award” was Qinghua “Yolanda” Tang. The “Spirit Award” recognizes enthusiasm, a positive attitude, a cheerful disposition, willingness to help peers, and motivation in pursuing goals related to learning English, and Yolanda unflaggingly embodied these qualities every day. This kind of motivation and positivity is inspiring to students, staff, and faculty alike, and we are happy to spotlight our spirited student Yolanda this winter!

What’s your background?

I’m from the city of Guilin, China. I got my Bachelor degree in Guangxi University,China. I worked as an English teacher in a college and later a translator in a joint venture in China.

Why did you decide to come to the ESL program in Monterey?

For improving my English and exploring the world, I came to study in America. And MIIS  is a renowned school located in a beautiful coastal city.

What is your favorite thing so far about this experience?

The favorite thing I experienced here is that I made many terrific friends from all over the world and we had a great time together.

What is one thing that you learned in class which will be helpful for you in your future studies or career?

The classes broadened my horizon and I learned to look at things from different perspectives.

What are you thinking about doing after you finish your time in the ESL program?

After finishing ESL program, I may try some new jobs related to English or pursue a Master’s degree.

We’re fortunate to have Yolanda continue studying with us in the Winter ESL session after returning home to visit her family during the vacation!

You may also like...