Teacher Feature: Holly Odorfer

Holly Odorfer_HeadshotIn the fall of 2014, the ESL program welcomed Holly Odorfer as a new instructor. Though this was her first time teaching in the program, Holly was already well-known to her colleagues and students from her previous work as a graduate assistant, tutor, and activity coordinator in ESL and other Intensive English Programs at the Middlebury Institute. We were happy to have Holly continue in the current winter 2015 ESL session.

What can you share about the path that led you to the Institute?

I originally learned about MIIS through a family member who recommended it for learning languages, but in the end, it was the TESOL program that really called to me. Before taking the leap to grad school, I took some time to explore the world of ESL/EFL teaching in South Korea. I only expected to stay one year, but I ended up loving teaching and living in Korea, so I stayed a bit longer. After more than three wonderful years of teaching and traveling in Asia, I finally made my way to Monterey and the TESOL program I had been dreaming of for so long. While I miss traveling and living abroad, I am so happy to be able to do the job I love and continue my professional growth at MIIS by working with Intensive English Programs on campus.

Bowling (2)What is your favorite thing about working in the ESL program?

Because of the wonderful diversity of our students, I am able to experience so many countries and cultures all in one place without leaving home!

What’s one thing that you have learned during your time teaching here?

​I have learned so much about so many things! One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned, however, is that I could never do this job alone. Of course I need my students, but more importantly I need my colleagues. I’m lucky to work with some of the most sharing people. They share their resources, their stories, and their advice. They pass along laughs and sometimes frustrations. They give me encouragement, honest opinions, and constructive criticism. I wouldn’t make it through the week without their generosity.

Do you have a favorite book or resource to share?

It’s too hard to pick just one, but a recent discovery that I love is Penny Ur’s Grammar Practice Activities. I also really like the website www.elementalenglish.com for help with pronunciation.

What are you looking forward to?

While I’ll be sad to say goodbye to some of the students who are moving on to their next adventure, I’m really looking forward to the next term that is just around the corner so I can try out some new ideas I’ve been thinking about and improve on the things I did this current term.

Bonus: As a newer teacher in the program, do you have any advice for other new teachers?

Be patient and forgiving with yourself. A novice teacher needs time to hone his/her skills, so don’t expect perfection right away, or ever for that matter. The learning never stops, and that’s what makes our job so interesting!

You may also like...