Teacher Feature: Jennifer Peck

2014 was a momentous year for our longest-running ESL teacher, Jennifer Peck, who married her sweetheart in Hawaii in July. Jennifer has worked for Intensive English Programs since the summer of 2009 in various roles. When she was still a graduate student at the Institute, she started out as a tutor for the English Preparation for Graduate Studies program, then in 2010, after receiving her MA degree in TESOL, she was offered a class as an adjunct instructor in the ESL program. Since then, she has taught nearly every level and course in the program with dedication and an interest in learning from her students. In 2013, Jennifer became a full-time lead instructor in the program and has contributed enormously in this role.

Jennifer with one of her ESL students, Kirara.

Jennifer with Kirara, one of her ESL students.

What can you share about the path that led you to the Institute?

I was fortunate enough to get my undergraduate degree abroad in Paris at The American University of Paris. This opportunity allows me to empathize with what my students face as they adapt to living in a new country and having to speak their second language all of the time. I have been through a similar experience, and I know how difficult, but incredibly exhilarating it can be! I also worked as a writing tutor when I was a student in Paris. I helped international students with their English writing, which started my interest in the field of ESL. I continued tutoring writing while I was a graduate student, helping other graduate students improve their papers. This focus on writing has given me a window into how difficult the writing process can be for non-native speakers, and has enabled me to develop strategies for helping students with all aspects of their writing process.

What is your favorite thing about working in the ESL program?

Oh- that’s a tough question! I love the students first and foremost. We are really lucky to have a very diverse group of students. This diversity leads to some great friendships between students, and I love getting to know these students and learning about their cultures. I feel like I get to travel around the world every time I enter the classroom.

What’s one thing that you have learned during your time teaching here?

Be open minded. Because of our diverse students, my preconceptions are constantly challenged. I am often reminded of how much we all have in common as human beings when I teach. It is wonderful to see students talk about their different cultures and then watch them as they realize that they have similarities. While teaching, I often feel as though I learn as much from my students as they learn from me! It’s incredibly rewarding.

Do you have a favorite book or resource to share?

I love the englishpage.com website for grammar. It is one of my “go-to” resources when I need to check a grammar rule. More importantly though, I think the best resource is the world around you. I also tell students to read book version of the movies they enjoy. For example, if they’ve seen Harry Potter, they should read the books in English. Since they already know the plot and the characters, the book will be a little easier for them to understand.

What are you looking forward to?

I always look forward to the first day of orientation. It’s when I get to meet the new students and learn about them. No matter how many orientations I do, I’m always a little nervous and excited!

Elements that Jennifer mentions– empathizing with students, appreciating their similarities and differences, being open minded and willing to learn, and creating lessons in which students learn from the world around them– make her students just as excited to attend her classes as she is to teach them! Recently, Jennifer co-presented at the CATESOL convention on “Using Storytelling as a Basis for Cross-Curricular Projects,” which focused on facilitating ESL students in sharing their personal stories with others. She plans to repeat and expand upon this project as a service learning opportunity for her students in coming sessions.

You may also like...