Andrea Fisher working with NOAA National Marine Sanctuaries on the West Coast

Student Name:   Andrea Fisher

Fellowship Organization:   NOAA National Marine Sanctuaries

Fellowship Location:  Monterey, CA — traveling to five West Coast marine sanctuaries

Dates of Fellowship:  May 29 – August 24, 2018

Description:  I will be traveling to the five West Coast national marine sanctuaries to conduct research regarding “sense of place,” or how people connect to each sanctuary. Based on the conversations I have with various stakeholders — researchers, staff, Native Peoples, industry representatives and visitors — I will create a painting for each site that reflects interviewees’ connection to the place.

This project will give insight to the human dimension of marine conservation and aims to deepen interest and engagement of the public through the art products. With feedback on how people, whether a researcher or a visitor, express their relationship to the unique characteristics of each site, we will have a better understanding of its overall value. The paintings offer platforms for summarizing the “sense of place,” or feelings and connections people hold regarding the marine protected area. Sharing the artwork at sanctuary visitor centers and on social media could inspire others to think about their connection, and hopefully, consider further engagement.

For more information, you can contact me at andrea.fisher@noaa.gov. You can also follow my summer journey on Instagram at Seaing_Sanctauries — photos and drawings of the five marine sanctuaries will be included.