Ocean Science Research Intern at EDF

This summer I have the pleasure of working at the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) with their Oceans Program Science Team. I’ve been tasked with analyzing fish stocks that are shifting rapidly across national borders due to climate change and analyzing what policy solutions could help governments handle this shift. The effects of climate change on the health of global fish stocks is a topic that I have frequently touched on during my first and second semesters at MIIS, so I’m excited to continue the work through a different lens. 

So far, this project has been a little challenging as there is both a lot of information to work through before I narrow my research topic, but at the same time, relatively little data on projected migration of fish stocks. This project gives me the opportunity to do more scientific research on the specifics of fish species and climate projections, while researching the law and policy aspects, which I am more familiar with. While the project is still taking shape, by the end of my 10-week internship, I hope to produce a map showing the “hot spots” of shifting stocks against a region’s EEZ boundaries, as well as a synthesis of the interjurisdictional conflicts and inequities that will arise from these shifting stocks. 

Working remotely has also been challenging but luckily I have been able to break up the work- life monotony by cat-sitting for a classmate. Since the EDF is hosting 70+ interns this summer, all working remotely, they also have put together a virtual speaker series and meet-and-greet zoom calls. Working from home has also enabled me to spend time in the ocean—scuba diving and surfing—which of course, helps inspire my work.